Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ever Read The Scout Law? . . . It Applies To You (1st of 4)

I was reminded today that the Boy Scouts of America are celebrating 100 years in America.  My youngest son, Mason, is 13 and is working his way through numerous merit badges and rank advancement tests.  He used to need constant nudging and reminders to get things done, but I have seen considerable growth in his independence, commitment to a task and willingness to work with others as he has progressed through his rank.  These are things any parent would be proud of and ought to be pleased that organizations exist to help raise our children to make a principled difference in this world. 

I should probably pause here and say that I recognize the Boy Scouts of America's stand on certain public issues aren't universally held, placing it among politics and religion as things not discussed in polite company.  Whether we agree or disagree on those issues, we ought not forget the baby while we wonder about what's in the bath water.   Have you ever actually read The Scout Law?  It lays out 12 character and behavior traits that, I dare say, could encourage our organizations to move mountains if we would all grasp and practice them daily.  If you serve or advise others, think about each one and how you might put them into practice - and how you might right the ship if these things don't exist in your teams. 

Today I'll cover the first three and three more each day for the next 3 until we cover them all.  As you read, I encourage you to think about each one and make notes and observations about your own leadership, treatment of others and particularly those to whom you owe a duty of service: an employer, a boss, a peer, a client, a spouse, a child, a friend, a neighbor.  But most immediately I would like you to look deeply at the performance of our companies and how different our trajectory might be if we could live to these standards. 

1.  A Scout Is Trustworthy.  There are two parts to this, the first being the dependability of our word and the second a clear connection of those words with our actions.  People must be able to depend on what you say as wholly truthful and honest.  This is most easily achieved with clear, concise communication.  When asked a direct question whether we have succeeded or failed in something, we ought not begin with, "Well, you know, it's very complicated when you consider all the variables and ......"  I know that about four words into that I know that the rest of what I'm about to hear is lipstick on the proverbial pig - it looks bad and smells surprisingly.  I have to keep digging for truth.

It is also damaging to one's trustworthiness to say one thing and do another altogether.  Let's avoid splitting hairs here.  This doesn't have to be a purposeful deception, it could simply be a failure to meet an honest commitment.  Either way, we damage our credibility when we don't do what we say.  Stay up later, stay at work longer or skip lunch.  Whatever it takes you must follow through with what you say.  A couple of days back I shared my formula for building a trusted relationship:

(Doing What You Say) + (Doing It When You Said You Would) + (Doing It Right The First Time) = Trusted Relationship

There is also great strength in holding others accountable for their commitments to you.

2.  A Scout Is Loyal.  Loyalty is thought of today as a little, well, schmaltzy.  I can hear some of you saying, "Yes, I am loyal to and looking out for Number 1."  I don't know about you but I cannot live that way.  When I was finishing my graduate studies a cohort of mine asked if I'd be leaving my company for greener pastures.  I told him I would not since they had paid for the vast majority of my graduate education I felt I owed them some return on that investment.  My loyalty, which to me seemed the only right thing, became the raw material for jibes from my friends for some time after that.  I promise you this: it's not always repaid in kind, but it is the right way to treat people.

Do you see back-biting and slander of other's work and thoughts?  What is your response?  If we do nothing we are guilty too.  For any team to be effective, these things cannot exist.  Disagreements have to be hammered out with each other.  I once told a group of peers of an operations team that we had a significant issue on our hands and needed to know if everyone was willing to, "...get in the boat and grab an oar to help out..."  All but one voiced support.  I knew from that point on I could not depend on that person.   Can the people you work with and for count you as loyal to them? 

3.  A Scout is Helpful.  We can go a long way by taking an interest in the cares and concerns of others.  But there is a very great difference, by the way, in caring 'about' and caring 'for' someone.  The former is thinking the latter is doing - without expectation of anything in return.  When the issues strike my mind, I care very much about world hunger, the health of the ozone and the relative size of my waistline versus 20 years ago.  And while they matter, I cannot say I am doing much of anything to be helpful to advance their cause. 

For us to make a difference right where we are we must do something beneficial to another person in addressing their needs and cares without expecting benefit.  This is caring for.  It's actually a sacrificial act, putting others before ourselves and helping them first.  It's a powerful thing and it generates a feeling you cannot get from anything else.

So, today I'd like to ask you to do three things to help your relationships and the value of your leadership to others.  You do not have to solve world peace with any of these, I promise you opportunities are there:
  • Speak the truth thoughtfully and deliver on your promises daily
  • Come to the support of someone under fire or who is being spoken poorly about behind their backs
  • Find a way to help someone in their priorities without expectation of a return effort
Tomorrow:  Friendly, Courteous and Kind